Personal Vision Statement. Everyone should have one! It helps you get focused on how to meet your goals and serves as a guidepost for where you want to go in life. It is the first step that any seasoned Coach will help you create in focusing your life. It can help you put things in perspective – your joy, your accomplishments, your family, your career and your contributions.
A meaningful personal vision statement isn’t something you can just pull out of thin air. There are, however, questions you should ask yourself that will move you closer to creating one. Sit down somewhere by yourself, away from any distractions and responsibilities, and allow yourself some uninterrupted time to think and ask yourself some thought provoking question.
- What is important?What/whom do you value? How is your life connected to those things?
- Where do I want to go?You can answer this many different ways. Your answer may involve a spiritual, mental, or physical destination. It might describe your career arc.
- What does “the best” look like for me?Describe your best possible result. This isn’t the time to be realistic. This is the time to dream.
- How do I want to act?How do you want people to describe you? Think of a few words you would want to come to mind when people think about you.
- What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind? Imagine you’re 100 years in the future. What does the impact you’ve left look like? How is your Butterfly Effect still touching lives?
Write down your answers to these questions and revisit them often. As you continue thinking about them, start giving your personal mission statement a shot.
A few guidelines:
- Keep it short. You want this to be something you can sum up in a single sentence. Remember, this is about focusing your life on what matters most! Boundaries will help you keep that focus.
- Don’t forget about others. Yes, this is a personal vision statement, but it should be just as much about the people you want to impact as it is about yourself. Make sure that shows.
- Share it with the most important people in your life. Get feedback from your spouse, your mentors, and any other important people in your life. They can provide you with invaluable insight.
- It’s OK to make changes. As you grow and continue learning, your vision might evolve. That’s natural. As long as you’re staying true to the vision you know you were put here to accomplish, you can’t go wrong.
- Use it as your Daily Affirmation, affirming and creating your life experiences with every word, thought and feeling. Your beliefs are merely habitual thinking patterns that you learned as a child. You have the power to Internationally change them.
Here is a partial example of a 700 word Personal Vision Statement that was written for a client. My client was instructed to start their day by reading their vision and if possible through out the day:
“My attention to detail, exceptional organizational skills and meticulous work ethic is the driving force behind my success. With graduation and official retirement behind me I have become financially unchained to operate my consulting business the way I feel and are more confident about no longer working for someone else. This new found freedom allows me to follow my passion and hire a professional dance instructor working we me to fine tune the smooth elegant movement of my hips, legs and feet to the rhythm of any music within ear shot. Salsa, Calypso Tango…. When I am on the dance floor I feel electrified as if the blood of Josephine Baker pouring through my veins. With each plan or invitation to travel and explore I seek out dancing venues to debut my talent…..not on the stage but on the dance floor with a partner that enjoys my every presence. Regardless of where I travel New York is my hub where I maintain my real estate holdings for additional financial stability. I feel blissful in knowing I’ve done well and glad to share my inspiring thoughts and approach to everyone I meet. I am in high demand and getting compensated in the most gratifying way. There is no a greater feeling in the world to know I have reached financial freedom. Because I have disciplined myself in execution and reaching my goals I have increased my financial security beyond my imagination.”
First step to redefine your future download